It’s crab season, which means it’s time to dig into a bushel of delicious steamed Maryland crabs! If you’re a first-timer to crab picking, then you may be finding the process a bit frustrating and time-consuming. If you happen to be eating steamed Maryland blue crabs, then you’ll have an easier time of picking the crab, since Maryland blue crab shells are softer than other crabs’ shells. However, no matter what type of crab you’re eating, the picking process is the same. Here are a few simple steps to help you enjoy your delicious Costas Inn steamed crabs!
How to Pick Crabs
Before you begin to pick crabs, take a look at our last blog that goes over crab terminology so that you know which parts to pick. Ready? Let’s begin!
- Step one: Start with the apron on the bottom of the crab. Grab a butter knife or use your fingers and pry the apron out towards you.
- Step two: Pull the underside of the crab away from the top shell. The top shell lodges the crab’s mustard and other delicacies. Some people like to eat the meat in the top shell, but it’s not for everyone. Eat whatever parts of the crab you like best!
- Step three: Slice your crab in half with a knife or with your hands. Make sure you get all the delicious meat from the backfin!
- Step four: Remove the legs from the body of the crab. Don’t throw the legs away! They have good meat that you can work out carefully with your teeth.
- Step five: Crack the crab claws with a crab mallet. There’s a lot of good meat stored in crab claws.
Congratulations, you learned how to pick crabs! Now that your freshly-picked crab is ready to eat, dig in and enjoy with a nice cold Natty Boh!
Come Visit Costas Inn!
Costas Inn has been a family owned and operated restaurant for over 40 years. We were recently voted the 2015 #1 Baltimore Seafood Restaurant by USA Today. You may have spotted Costas Inn during one of our 9 appearances on the Today Show or heard one of our many interviews on WJZ TV Channel 13 with Ron Matz and Marty Bass. We were also voted #1 Crab Restaurant 2014 in the Baltimore Business Journal! You can enjoy our famous crab cakes in-house or order them online for anytime eating. We also provide some of the best seafood catering in the Baltimore area! You can also get your fill from Costas even when you’re not in our dining room: follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and YouTube!